George R R Martin Says One of the ‘Game of Thrones’ Prequels ‘Has Been Shelved’ at HBO /Link
At least one of the five “Game of Thrones” prequels put into development at HBO “has been shelved,” according to “A Song of Ice and Fire” author George R. R. Martin.
“If you have been following along, you know that we started with four, and eventually went to five,” Martin wrote in a blog post on Monday. “One of those has been shelved, I am given to understand … but that does not mean the others are dead.”
With the final season of “Game of Thrones” looming, HBO put five prequels from various writers into development last year. Last week, one of those projects, from “Kingsman” scribe Jane Goldman, was ordered to pilot, and now Martin says another has been put on hold.
When reached for comment, a spokesperson for HBO reiterated that no formal decisions have been made regarding the other four prequels.
Martin didn’t specify which of the other four projects he was discussing, but HBO has one each from “Thrones” alum Bryan Cogman, Max Borenstein (“Kong: Skull Island”), Brian Helgeland (“Legend”) and Carly Wray (“Mad Men,” “The Leftovers”).
“Three more ‘Game of Thrones’ prequels, set in different periods and featuring different characters and storylines, remain in active development,” Martin wrote in his blog. “Everything I am told indicates that we could film at least one more pilot, and maybe more than one, in the years to come. We do have an entire world and 10 of thousands of years of history to play with, after all. But this is television, so nothing is certain.”
The eighth and final season of “Game of Thrones” will air in 2019.
Published on 11 Jun 2018 at 10:42PM